Sunday, September 21, 2008

Artist in the Air



En plein air is a French expression which means "in the open air", and is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors.

My mom, who loves to paint, is returning to this once abandoned love with abandon, and spent the better parts of Friday and Saturday en plein air painting and then submitting her art to a local gallery for a judged show they were holding. First prize is $500. We don't know who won because we went out to pizza instead of waiting around to see who the winners were, but in my heart my mom is a winner; and we enjoyed being out in the "plein air" with her for a few hours Saturday afternoon.
Here's mom in a candid shot of her explaining her muse.



Here's Ezra holding Mima's last finished painting of a fisherman on the pier.

I love this shot of them looking over the rail in front of the boats.



Here are the kids playing it safe near the rocks and the edge of the water.

ere's Oliver looking thouroughly entertained by this outing (not). He did enjoy a nice chew on my keys however, and will be enriched by this experience I'm sure.

No comments: