Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zoo Follies

You know those times when your gut (and your husband) say you should just call and cancel some plan or other that you've made, but you don't? Well this zoo trip was one of those days for me. We'd made plans to hit the zoo with some friends and the morning of, Aurelia awoke with a sore throat and a fever . . . but after some breakfast and medicine she said she really felt up to going to the zoo . . . lesson #1 - never let your kids decide that they are well enough to do something fun - of course they think they are . . .

Well, I really hate backing out of things and I super really hate backing out of fun things that I've been promising my kids we'd do, so we packed a lunch and other necessities and headed out . . .
The first part of the day wasn't so bad - see the photo below? Smiles.
This next photo is where I learned lesson #2: IF you go out with a kid who's not feeling well, bring some back-up medicine with you! Poor Aurelia started eating lunch and guess what she realized was starting to hurt again? Yup- her throat and she was really heating up too . . .

My friend lovingly pushed Aurelia around in her jogging stroller so she wouldn't have to walk anymore. . .


and we made good on our promise to the other three to ride a ride and the train.


Aurelia was a real trooper . . . especially considering that when we got home her fever was at 104 and I rushed her to the doctor's office (thankfully they were still open!) and discovered that she had strep throat! Yup. I should have called that day off. Poor Aurelia. But the good news is that no one we knew got sick (not us, nor our friends anyway) and that story ended on a fairly good note.

No comments: