Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Exploratorium

So - I'm not really a city driver and I really dislike being the "leader of the driving pack." That's much more up Jason's alley, but anywho, the Exploratorium opens it's doors free to the public on, I think, the first Wednesday of each month and we were invited to join some friends to go out that way, so I packed a lunch and Jason's G.P.S. (thinking that would somehow help my lack of directional ability) and headed out to the city . . . HA! So here we are crossing the Golden Gate bridge (at least my kids can say they've done that now) . . .
After the bridge, the U-turn, and the toll for two cars to cross the bridge (since it WAS my fault), we finally parked and entered the PACKED building, we found: mold (something we are pretty familiar with, actually, and I was glad this kind was under glass) . . .

skeletons in the closet on display for all to see (thankfully, however, not MY skeletons . . . ) . . .

water plants, I guess . . .
The cutest baby on the face of the earth! . . .
a mini-class on plants (that was so boring my kids left after the petals were removed) . . .
germs . . . on a ball thing . . .
a really super-duper, this would make a cool Christmas present, computer microscope thing . . . we spent a lot of time at this station . . .
water and soap (to wash the germs off - the bubbles were just a distraction) . . .

colorful glass, the purpose of this display was not very clear, but very colorful . . .
an earthquake spine that actually just gave my kids a reason to scream and cry at each other, it was nice . . .
shaking sand that was very soothing after the fake-quake . . .
ice crystals that fascinated Aurelia - you had to look though the "polarizer" to see the crystals forming as the water froze on the glass below, but it was so beautiful and colorful . . . the only problem was that Ezra kept spraying more water and melting the ice . . .
This hypno-thing that reminded everyone to go into the store and spend money . . . we did . . . it was a very powerful message. Actually - we got a blacklight pen and pen-light for Aurelia so she could send me secret messages (like "I love you, mom") and a rain-sound maker for Oli and some airplanes for Ezra - I'm positive we spent less in the store than we did to cross the bridge, so I was happy . . .

When we came out of the museum it was POURING rain - as only SFO can do, so we had to RUN to the car in the rain and we got pretty soaked! IT was awesome and I had extra clothes in the car, so it ended up being a really fun day.

No comments: